Isabel Stenzel Byrnes is 37 years old with cystic fibrosis and is living in Northern California. Isabel is a wanderlust, is post-transplant for five years, and is co-author (with her sister, Anabel) of the book, The Power of Two. Isabel has worked as a social worker and health educator and is LIVING, BREATHING and SUCCEEDING on a daily basis.
- Isabel, along with her twin sister, Anabel, and family, has traveled the world. She has visited 12 countries and 41 states in the USA. Isabel started traveling at age eight and lived in Japan for one year.
- Isabel was born in Southern California, diagnosed at birth, and had an active childhood, loving the outdoors and such sports as swimming, jogging and hiking.
- Isabel graduated from Stanford University, competes in the Transplant Games, and most recently started playing the bagpipes.
- “When traveling, I make sure I have the CF doctor contact info in the city I am traveling to, take extra prescriptions, wash my hands a lot, drink lots of water, and ALWAYS carry-on my medications,” Isabel says.
- Post-transplant, Isabel continues to travel and has added a mask during airplane travel.
- “I have lived a very privileged life, and CF has taught me to be very disciplined. Everyone with CF is a mentor to me,” Isabel says.
- Isabel’s advice: “Do not limit yourself, and allow yourself to dream.”
This “LIVING. BREATHING. SUCCEEDING.” Podcast/Vodcast series is the final in a series of 12 made possible through an unrestricted educational grant from Genentech to the Boomer Esiason Foundation.
The Power of Two: A Twin Triumph Over Cystic Fibrosis
by Isabel Stenzel Byrnes, Anabel Stenzel
“Born in 1972, twins who share this life-threatening disease give an honest portrayal of their struggle to live normal lives, their interdependence, day-to-day health care, the impact of chronic illness on marriage and family, and the importance of a support network to continuing survival.” (provided by publisher)
To order, click here