Jerry Cahill interviews Amy Purdy
Amy Purdy has been a social worker at Saint Vincent’s CF Center, in New York City, for over 8 years and “loves helping people?
- Amy grew up in Long Island, NY
- SUNY Albany undergraduate degree
- Adelphi University graduate degree in Social Work
- St. Vincent’s has over 170 cystic fibrosis patients where Amy works full time for the center.
- Amy has great relationships with her patients and knows “what there favorite flavor is in bubble gum?
- Amy deals with various issues including; medical insurance, medication compliance, educating families on CF, transplant issues, and “just being there? for the patients?.
- Amy states: “Teen years are critical for medication/therapy compliance, as this sets the stage for your future health?.
- St. Vincent’s has a “phone a friend? program for CF teens to speak to adults with CF
- Amy’s goal: “Take the burden off the young adults by becoming like a personal assistant?
- Amy’s advice to families: “Use ALL the resources at your CF Center?