Diagnosed at the age of 10 with cystic fibrosis, Lisa Ropers is now a happily married 33-year-old living in Holmesville, Nebraska. Lisa, in spite of dealing with the CF complication Pancreatitis, remains passionate about the fashion and retail management world. She loves going to the gym, doing yoga, and shopping – especially in second hand stores where she can find things to restore or ‘up cycle.’
- Pancreatitis is caused by pancreas not functioning properly and symptoms include nausea and pain.
- “I deal with my pancreatitis by watching my fat and protein intake and by living more of a vegan lifestyle and I avoid dairy,” states Lisa.
- “I usually have to go into the hospital a few times a year when the pain gets severe, and I go on some antibiotics and NPO (nothing by mouth) for 4 or 5 days,” according to Lisa
- Lisa suggests that people with CF eat better and avoid a high fat diet to keep their pancreas healthy.
- “My family and husband are a great support system for me when I am getting a severe attack as they help with all my errands and just comforting me. Oh yes, my 2 dogs and 2 cats also add support…”
- Lisa’s advice to people with CF… “Don’t ignore it, don’t be in denial, and take care of you!”
This “LIVING. BREATHING. SUCCEEDING.” Podcast/Vodcast is made possible through an unrestricted educational grant from Genentech to the Boomer Esiason Foundation.